The Writer – Mindy Kaling Director – Victor Nelli, Jr. A brief synopsis – The staff (Toby, Meredith, Stanley, Kevin) get to bring their kids to work and Pam is […]
- The Writer – Mindy Kaling
- Director – Victor Nelli, Jr.
- A brief synopsis – The staff (Toby, Meredith, Stanley, Kevin) get to bring their kids to work and Pam is excited to try to make (just) one of them her friend. Everyone has ideas as to how to entertain (or be entertained) by them. Meredith is happy to not have to pay child care since her boy was suspended at school for the week. Dwight and Angela get a glimpse of how it might be to have children of their own. Michael gets a chance to see another side of Toby, as his daughter immediately takes a shine to Michael, and vise versa. In the end, we get to see a side of Michael as a young boy so sad and endearing, the rest of the staff is rendered speechless.
- The best line – Edward R. Meow: Okay, next? So, whats your name?
Michael: Oh! That’s me. Shh. Shh.
Edward R. Meow: Well what’s your favorite subject at school?
Young Michael: Recess.
Edward R. Meow: Ree-cesss. So tell me, what do you want to be when you grow up?
Young Michael: I want to be married and have a hundred kids so I can have a hundred friends, and no one can say no to being my friend.
Edward R. Meow: [jaw drops, awkward pause] Uh, ah… oh, okay! Well uh, nice talking with you, Michael. Uh, back to you Miss Trudy!
- The best moment – Sasha’s interactions with Michael when he is on the phone.
- The best storyline – Sasha with Michael adds a depth that can’t be faked. Seeing him as a boy with such simple dreams is beauty personified.
- Notable guest appearance – All those kids.
- Grade – A-
This is a sweet episode, focusing on the strengths of Kaling as a writer: character and sentiment that avoids being cloying. Easily the best writer on the best written show on television. Carell shows why he won the Emmy with this episode in particular. Several wonderful performances, most prominently Lieberstein as Toby who still is the perfect foil for Michael.