- The Writers –Daniel Chun & Charlie Grandy
- The Directors – Seth Gordon & Harold Ramis
- A brief synopsis – Pam and Jim try to hold off going to the hospital because their horrible HMO would let them get an extra day if they go in past midnight. This works for a while, until the contractions become so frequent that the situation begins to wear on Jim. Seeing how having a baby is working for them, Dwight decides he needs to have a baby for business reasons and summarily calls upon Angela for the purpose. Andy attempts to get the courage to ask Erin out. Michael is a general nuisance: first inserting himself into the childbirth process, making things unbearable for Pam and Jim. Then anointing himself cupid and trying to put Kevin and Erin together, making things unbearable for Andy and Erin. Dwight, working as minion for Michael, finds mold in Jim and Pam’s kitchen, deciding to redo the kitchen, instead of just picking up the Ipod Pam asked him for. Along the way, he meets up with Pam’s friend Isabel once more. Pam and Jim, meanwhile, suffer through their first night of parent hood miserable with over-education and under-experience.
- The best line – Michael: Jim, as a matter of fact, I have printed out ten ways to induce labor. And I’m thinking we just do the opposite of those things and we can slow down your labor. Erin, read the first one.
Erin: Um, stimulate the nipples.
Michael: Okay, nobody touch Pam’s nipples. Think of Pam’s nipples as Toby’s grundle.
Kevin: Her shirt is touching them. Maybe we should cut holes in her shirt.
Meredith: I have a shirt like that in my car.
Michael: Okay, yeah, why don’t you go get it?
Erin: Okay, uh, the second one is walk around. We’re already doing the opposite of that. Perfect. Okay, number three, eat spicy foods.
Michael: Okay, the opposite of that?
Kevin: Stick spicy food up her butt.
Jim: Nope, nope, nope, nope. Come on, let’s go to the hospital. Pam, let’s go to the hospital right now.
- The best moment – Pam discovering that she had not only nursed the wrong baby but that baby was now “latched” to her.
- The best storyline – Isabel and Dwight, for sure, beating out the always reliable but taking forever to get there Erin and Andy.
- Notable guest appearance – Kelen Coleman as Isabel (yes!) and Linda Purl as Helene, Pam’s mom.
- Would Michael have been reprimanded? – God I wish someone could have put a muzzle on him this episode.
- Grade – B+
The only thing keeping this from an A is the overuse of Michael. We know, he disrupts everything, for no discernible purpose, but it has to flow, babe. Everybody seems to take their cue from him in his shared scenes. It throws them off their game. Well, everyone but Dwight. His genius never seems to abate. Great moments with Pam and Jim in the hospital, as well as Dwight both on the way and back at the new parent’s home. Erin and Andy are painfully close. I would love to see more of Kevin’s culinary skill and how his many meals work in the office daily. Kelen Coleman needs to become a weekly addition to the show. The episode is at times great, at as many times a source of frustration.